Nat on the Net


Saturday, December 19, 2009

A decade has passed me by...

I had realised that 10 years has passed since the day I came to know about the true meaning of Christmas, and I'm asking myself what has changed over these years.

In 1999, I was down and out, trying to get a girlfriend in JC but failed miserably. My dad went "out of business" again, finally terminating all construction or acoustics related work which financed the semi-detached house we rented and we moved back to the small little 1-room rental flat. I was in need of both emotional and financial support.

I seek solace in my best friend since end 1996, Wilson. We stayed across the street and we met at the bus stop along that street or the basketball court of the school along that street. He offered to pray for me and I came to know something I never did, he believed in God.

After 2 weeks, I agreed to go for service and it was the pre-christmas service of Hope of God Church (Singapore) at Kreta Ayer Community Theatre. God was there, He was there in the midst of His people and He gave me a peace no one else could have given.

A decade has passed me by...

In 2009, I am relatively successful in the measure of the Singaporean society. I still have not found a girlfriend after all these years, but I'm more eligible, more matured, more stable and with strong financial security. My dad is out of work totally, all the business he has had over the years had all failed but he is also not willing to take up any other form of employment, he has signed up for around 5 jobs which none lasted more than 3 months. However, by the grace of God who allowed me the scholarship which I would otherwise have not qualified for, I'm the main breadwinner of the family and currently paying off the loan for a 4-room flat of my own. My career is taking off and I'm capable in many areas, said to be ear-marked for grooming. I am still in need of emotional support.

Today, I seek solace in the pleasures of the world, the entertainment my wealth brings me, the greed and knowledge that puffs me up. Technology, gadgets, games and much more.

But I am not fulfilled. I find satisfaction in the primary role of my job, God really knew me when He paved the way for me into the teaching profession. However I do not feel that I am living out God's plan for my life. To teach was a calling from Him, but I have lost sight of the plans He has in this calling or the purpose to which He has called me.

Week in and week out I attend the Adults service of Hope Church Singapore at Nexus Auditorium, Cuppage Plaza.

But what I really need is to come back to Him, to the living God, to sense His Holy presence, to hear His rhema word.

After 10 years, many things have changed, but one thing has not, I still need God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home